Translate

Sunday, April 28, 2013

It's Mello

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the rebirth of hop-hop.

As I've stated in a previous post, I fell out of touch somewhat with the r&b and hip-hop scene some time ago. I felt like those two genres were the first to suffer from what has become the trend with "popular" music. Too many up-and-coming artists being polished into what some old stodgy record exec felt was the best product at the time and being force fed to the tweens of today that line their pockets.

Even these so-called hard-core hip-hop artists today are soft compared to their contemporaries. I grew up in the day of the likes of Afrika Bambataa, Kool Herc, Sugar Hill Gang, Slick Rick, Ice-T, Eric B and Rakim, NWA, Nemesis, Ron C... I can go on and on, but you see the point I'm getting at? Those days of hip-hop are long gone.

Then along comes a fella from Jersey to open my ears and eyes to what hip-hop and r&b can get back to.

This is Mello.



Mello's most recent project, Open Windows is aplty named for his introduction to my blog.




From the opening track to the last, there isn't a missed beat to be found. This entire mix-tape takes me right back to the heyday of hip-hop. Summers growing up in Dallas never felt this good Mello.

Open Windows isn't Mello's only contribution to righting the world of hip-hop. Check out his SoundCloud page today for one of the most impressive track listings of any artist around.





ItsMello.com

Follow Mello on Twitter

Support unsigned artists... give indie music a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment