Translate

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Little Donkey

No, the title of this post is not a misprint or a slight of sorts in any way. When Little Donkey, the folk/rock indie band out of Chelmsford, Essex, UK, found their way to my Twitter page, I kind of did a double take at the name. Then I found my way to their music and immediately began apologizing for jumping to conclusions, because I was NOT expecting to hear what I did!



Little Donkey are Mat Frost. vocals/guitar/ukulele/mandolin; Simon Charlton, guitar/stompbox/vocals; Russ Charlton-Ricks, bass and Jim Kemble, drums. Now, for the apologizing part to the band. I'll admit that, once I saw the name of the band, I hadn't the slightest idea what to expect, or what I thought I could expect for that matter. I hit play on their latest EP, Sanctuary, and I was blown away! This folk-rock-funk explosion called Damascus hit my earholes and I've been a sucker for them ever since!!!



Track after track on Sanctuary as well as their debut EP, The Heavy Load Sessions, is packed full of soulful folk and melds just the right amount of rock mixed with a tad bit of grunge, all wrapped up in a nice little eargasmic package for our listening pleasure. When a band like Little Donkey happens along, we know that the gods of indie music are smiling down on us.



Now let's get down to a little business, shall we? The wave of the future of music is upon us. We are now in the era of the crowd-funded campaign and it's sweeping the world. As crowd-funded campaigns go, I have personally backed 24 successful campaigns, and a handful or so of ones that didn't quite make it. I took those losses personally because I felt as if I was as invested in the campaigns as much as the indie artists that I supported. Let's see what we can do to add number 25 to the list. The band has very recently started their own PledgeMusic campaign to help with recording their next EP. I for one am a very big fan of the crowd-funding campaigns as it gives the artist complete control over their art and allows them to put a product out there that they know their fans want from them. This isn't going to be some crap auto-tuned, dressed up for the teenage girls who keep the wallets fat of the so-called experts of today's mainstream music. No, this is going to be some more of what I already love about Little Donkey.

First and foremost, let's all head over to the band's PledgeMusic page and help them record their next EP! Then, follow them on Twitter, like them on Facebook, head over to their BandCamp page to download The Heavy Load Sessions and Sanctuary, and check out their official website for all things Little Donkey!

And as always, make sure you check back here at MY Indie Music Blog for all things Little Donkey as they happen.

Support unsigned artists... give indie music a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment